One way the American Society for the Advancement of Project Management (asapm) advances the state of modern Project Management practice is to move Project Manager learning beyond simple knowledge transfer and into skills, behavioral attributes and Competence. The asapm Competence Model, together with our Education, Certification and Standards programs, help us accomplish that goal.
Free Competence Model Lite or Pro Version; Both Available with New Features
Among its features: Release 4.0 now includes Competence Development Planning and Tracking of interventions needed to bridge performance gaps. This release continues to cover the range of PM Roles in our 4-Level Competence-based certification program, and also includes three key stakeholder groups: Project Sponsors, Resource Managers, and Project Management Office (PMO) participants.
Free licenses for CompModel are available to asapm members and website guests. To skip this descriptive and background information and download PM CompModel, click here (740 KB download, requires Microsoft Access 2010 or a free download of the 2010 MS Access Runtime on your Windows PC).
The CompModel Parts and Roles
PM CompModel Application: This is a database application that contains the model, and helps you assess and report your stakeholders’ Competence strengths and gaps.
The PM Competence Model: A structured list of the minimum Competences that Project Managers and key stakeholders must demonstrate—with targeted levels of knowledge and Competence for each.
Note that some of the roles shown in the diagram at right and listed below are candidates for Performance-Competence-based Certification by asapm. And, our experience is that all the others must also be competent for teams to achieve consistent project success:
- Project Sponsor
- Projects Director/Program Manager (IPMA-A)
- Resource Manager (and other Middle Managers)
- PMO Manager or Consultant
- Senior Project Manager (IPMA-B)
- Project Manager (IPMA-C) and
- Project Associate (IPMA-D)
Depending on your requirements, different audiences can use CompModel for many purposes.
- As a job-seeker, provide a summary of your PM Competences; use it as a differentiator in interviews.
- As a Project Manager, Team Leader or project participant, assess your strengths and weaknesses for professional development planning, both for your current role, and for advancement opportunities.
- As a Project Manager with a current knowledge-based certification, evaluate where you should focus your efforts to further advance your skills and Competences.
- Evaluate your readiness to apply for the appropriate Project Manager level in our
4-Level Certification Program.
- As a Project Manager, evaluate the stakeholders of your team to find "your weakest links", expose gaps, reduce risk, and improve project performance.
- As a Resource Manager or Human Resources/Training Manager, identify the gaps most in need of filling, and those staff members who demonstrate strengths you can apply for coaching others.
- As a Project Sponsor or Executive in a Project-oriented enterprise, to assess your project teams, workgroups or organization to determine strengths to leverage, and opportunities for improvement.
- Assess your Project Management Office, to assure best use of your greatest strengths.
PM Vendor uses
- As an independent Project Management consultant, map your products and services to asapm's CompModel. In this way you can show savvy customers how you provide true value-added and
differentiating services, and sell more of your gap-filling products, and services.
- As a Project Management Learning or Training Vendor, map your curriculum to the USA's
National Competence Baseline. License the Pro version and show how your workshops
or modules deliver each needed element of competence.
Use CompModel with your customers to help them see the best return on their PM training budget. This will be increasingly important as asapm’s competence-based PM Certification creates awareness and demand for Competence-building.
Are You Ready for CompModel?
Go to the next page to find out more about CompModel, or
Click here to find out how to get your download!